Tuesday 13 July 2010

Manhattanhenge


Summer solstice sunrise over Stonehenge
(photograph Andrew Dunn, 21 June 2005)


Twice a year the rays of the setting sun align perfectly with the east-west direction of the main street grid in Manhattan. This beautiful phenomenon was aptly called Manhattanhenge, in reference to the alignment of the sun on summer solstice over Stonehenge, by Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.

Today the second 2010 Manhattanhenge is due to happen. You can check out some photographs on flickr.

Maybe someday I'll be able to post my own...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tonicito! We are a couple living in Salzburg and would love to meet new expats! I don't want to leave my email address here, but if you can give me yours so we contact you?
Thanks!
L.

tonicito said...

L., you can contact me through my blogger profile. Cheers!
T.